Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ON REJECTION LETTERS, 2

I just received a rejection letter from a university gallery that I applied to in response to their call in a national art magazine, no problem. My motto is "they can't reject you if you don't apply." What I do mind is sloppiness.

The call was posted in March of 2007, with an open deadline. I responded with a package of images on a CD, a proposal and the usual SASE, in April of 2007. Not getting an answer by November of that same year, I emailed the institution and the listed contact person. This individual's reply was that they never received my package. So, I shrugged my shoulders and thought "Oh well, there's a slip twixt cup and lip." And resolved to henceforth use the return receipt function of snail-mail.

To my complete and utter surprise several days ago, I received a rejection letter and all of my materials as sent in the original package, a full year later! April of 2008. This is unmitigated sloppiness and what's more, borders on cruelty.

No comments: