Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Took Some Lines to the Circus.

[caption id="attachment_252" align="aligncenter" width="550" caption="I Took Some Lines to the Circus, 2008, 24"x30", pencil, prismacolor pencil on acrylic primed masonite panel"]I Took Some Lines to the Circus, 24x30in., Pencil, prismacolor on acrylic primed masonite, 2008[/caption]

I have decided that going forward all of my new work will have real titles, not merely, Untitled with Some Number. That got way, way too confusing, no doubt exacerbated by there not being a good system to begin with. Now I will confuse my viewers in a different way, with literary and linguistic questions. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Kevin Swallow said...

I like this one. very expressive. Although I'm sure it's better in person than the photo on my screen. I like the title and the mystery. Were you inspired by the circus? Did you actually take some lines to the circus? Maybe some people have a fear of clowns and are afraid of the circus. Many interpretations... So, in a nutshell, keep up with the abstract titles to go along with the abstract art...It makes it more interesting and fun. In fact, that's one of the things I like when I'm creating art. Sometimes I already have a title before I paint and other times I figure it out after I finish.

Nancy Charak said...

Thank you very much. My thought started with a visit to the MCA which has a few Calder mobiles, which brought to mind when I had seen his Circus at the MOMA more than a few years ago. I was also mindful of the statement by Paul Klee that making a drawing was "taking a line for a walk."