Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Work at Sapere Gallery, Chicago

[caption id="attachment_134" align="alignleft" width="217" caption="Cri de Coeur, 18 x 24 x 2in., watercolor, prismacolor pencil, graphite pencil on birchwood panels. 2010"]Cri de Coeur, 18 x 24 x 2in., watercolor, prismacolor pencil, graphite pencil on birchwood panels. 2010[/caption]

With the help of Scott Simons, this painting, one of six, delivered to Gary Marr, gallerist of Sapere Gallery, 1579 N. Milwaukee, Chicago, last week.

I've been working with watercolor lately, for about a year (view recent work here). I find an immediacy and a brilliance that excite me in these pieces. To get the intense color I have been mixing the pigments myself and just flooding the surface with it. The substrate is just a birchwood panel, totally unprepared, no gesso, no ground, nothing between the paint and the wood.

The panels are hand made by Joel Fromer of Art Services.

There will be more pieces, I just obtained 35 additional panels for my next year's anticipated production.

No comments: