Saturday, August 30, 2014

Samwise Gamgee the Wonder Dog

A year ago yesterday, August 29, 2013, I called my friend, Slim, said to her, "get in the car, come pick me up, we're going to the pound to get me a dog." Here he is, Samwise Gamgee, a year later. The pound, Pima Animal Care Center, found him as a stray near the I-10 freeway and Ruthrauff Road, when I took him he had been there for nine days. I was so totally not prepared for how hard it was to walk around the many kennel stalls to see so many beautiful, misplaced dogs hungry for affection and a place to call home. Sam had been neutered and chipped, with no response from the previous owner who had the foresight to chip him. I walked around the kennels and kept coming back to him. There was a lovely dog in the stall next to him, who was barking loudly, whereas Sam was at the gate looking at me. In retrospect, the pound may have named him Harpo because he did not bark. He finally barked three days later, a small one to let Slim and I know that he heard us at the door.

Sam is a true companion, and well-named. Samwise Gamgee went with Frodo Baggins all the way to Mount Doom and back to their home in the Shire. Sam is a good trail dog, a good car dog, logging many many miles with me across the west, a good sport, sweet and gentle. Best guess by the vet is that he is eight or nine years old.

Samwise Gamgee, c. 2014, Nancy Charak photograph

Samwise Gamgee, c. 2014, Nancy Charak photograph

Harpo, c. 2013, Nancy Charak photograph




No comments: