Monday, January 14, 2013

Nancy Charak art at Chicago State University

"Realization_5216", Nancy Charak, artist, 30"x22", watercolor, graphite, prismacolor on birchwood panel
In an earlier post, "Realization," I spoke of what could perhaps be a coming of age moment for me at 64, that I am now doing what I thought I would have been doing much earlier in life, but now at this place and time, I have made myself into a working artist.  As I idealized this when I started art school at 18, I thought that it would be a simple thing, a simple glide onward and upward.  I am now making art constantly, engaged in a dialogue with art, images, ideas, in spite of the bumpy roads of life.  I do not know where the art making is going, which is another realization, that I have given my paintings and myself permission to do and go where they need to go, and that I am only partially in control.

This painting, "Realization_5216" will be on display, with others, at Chicago State University, in a two-person exhibit with an accomplished artist and teacher, Julian Williams, in the President's Gallery, 9501 S. King Drive, Cook Administration Building, 3rd Floor.  The exhibit has been organized and curated by professor, artist and activist, Joyce Owens.

The show runs from January 29 to March 15.  An artists' reception and gallery talk will be on Wednesday, January 30, from 12:30 to 3:00pm.  Please come on by.  The university takes a great deal of effort to use the exhibits as an educational experience for their students.  It will be a great afternoon.

No comments: